Search This Blog

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Such Sweet Reset?


Ten things about Such Sweet Sorrow. Spoilers ahead.

1. If this is a setup to fling Discovery into the future long-term (after getting Spock off the ship -- maybe he’s on that unexploded photon torpedo that’s going to hit the Enterprise?), will this be some kind of time-travel reset button that wipes Discovery out of the past, fixing all continuity problems regarding the spore drive, knowledge of the mirror universe, and Michael herself? OK, I think I like this. Also I think I've had enough of falling in love with single-season characters, and stranding Discovery in the future could be a way to stop doing that. (Oh, who'm I kidding?)

2. Why does bringing the sphere knowledge into the future make it safe from Control? Presumably an AI that can inhabit anything/anyone is immortal. Can’t it just wait until it catches up with Discovery in the future?

3. It feels like Disco does a hurry-up-and-wait thing a lot, where there’s a giant danger -- no time to lose, Leland is right behind us! -- but somehow plenty of time for touching character scenes.

4. I love that eyes-up thing they did. Twice.

5. The Michael/Sarek/Amanda scene: I cried. I’m not ashamed.

6. If this is it for Ash/Michael, they're going out with a whimper, not a bang. That spark hasn't been burning very bright all season.

7. Where did the Enterprise come from, anyway? And how did it get there with this giant Section 31 fleet in the way?

8. If you need to distract from a dodgy plot framework on which you've hung some gloriously shmaltzy character scenes, you could do a lot worse than have Sonequa Martin-Green and Anson Mount doing the distracting.

9. I really, really need more Number One. And more Pike. Basically, I need a whole series on the pre-Kirk Enterprise.

10. I’m not getting that ENT tie-in I’ve been dreaming of, am I?

ADDING: Bonus 11. On second thought, Discovery isn't staying in the future. Or at least, its crew isn't. I can believe that one person -- Spock -- somehow gets off the train just as it's pulling out of the station, or gets returned through the wormhole, or whatever. But this can't possibly be the end for Hugh and Paul...can it? That it's Michael and Ash's last goodbye I can believe. That relationship had "ill-fated" stamped all over it right from the start. But Hugh and Paul? Not bloody likely. While their relationship is peripheral to the main story, it's central to Disco's vision of IDIC. I can't believe they'd just let it fizzle. Unless Discovery's trip to Tomorrowland is not permanent, but not brief, either -- like, a season or two? The writers wouldn't make us wait that long for a Hugh/Paul reconciliation...would they?

No comments:

Post a Comment