Search This Blog

Friday, January 12, 2018

DS9 shines a light on the Shithole

On this Shithole morning, when we are so painfully reminded of the racist culture of which we are a part, I find myself watching DS9 "Far Beyond the Stars." It just happens to be up next in my rewatch. And it absolutely guts me. Somehow, I'd basically forgotten this episode entirely, and it's like watching it for the first time. I'm not even going to describe it, because maybe someone reading this, like me, has forgotten it -- or maybe they never saw it at all -- and it's out there, waiting to be discovered or rediscovered.

If you love Star Trek because of the possibilities it unfolds, or if you just believe that telling a story can be a powerful act of illuminating the present and imagining the future, take an hour out of your day and watch "Far Beyond the Stars."


No comments:

Post a Comment