Search This Blog

Friday, January 26, 2018

Fate vs free will; this must be Star Trek

Three more Disco episodes to wrap up Lorca's arc. I've already predicted that Discovery is returning to the prime universe with rescued prime Lorca and some or all of the crew of the Buran (who, I'm starting to suspect, may comprise some of MU Lorca's rebel followers). Whether or not that's correct, I feel sure that the Lorca we've been watching throughout this season will either die or be left behind in the MU. But here's one more prediction: The theme of the season is redemption, and there will be some for Lorca.



"I'm responsible for forging my own path. We all are."

That's Burnham, coming down on the side of free will, from the trailer for "What's Past Is Prologue." Clearly, that's her response to Lorca's harping on fate and destiny. I've already said that, in the Burnham/Lorca relationship, we see the pupil becoming the master. I think MU Lorca will have learned something from his PU experience and defy his "destiny" in order to help the Discovery get home.

I predict that the moral of the story will be, don't be too quick to hand out the black hats and the white hats, or at least keep some gray ones on hand.

However one feels about Lorca's arc this season (and I'm deeply ambivalent), Jason Isaacs deserves an enormous amount of credit for keeping us guessing. He makes it abundantly clear that something is very off about this character, but he also never lets us give up on  him. An impressive performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment