Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Vaulting Ambition, Vanishing Optimism


Before I get into the Lorca stuff: I keep meaning to write something long and profound about how Disco has lulled us into identifying with the Federation and its values of justice and equality, and then pulled a gigantic switcharoo, forcing us to wonder if we are in fact more Terran than Federation, which also forces us to wonder whether our enemy is more Prime Universe Klingon or Mirror Universe rebels. Insert all the appropriate parallels (America/Western democracy/multiculturalism or imperialism/Trumpism/fascism? Radical Islamic fundamentalism/brutal warmongers/xenophobes or spiritually motivated anti-colonial freedom fighters?) So I'll just leave that there and move on.

Me being Team Lorca ‘n all, there’s a lot about his story that looks like it’s not going my way, unless there’s a further big reveal about how he’s not as bad as all that (and I do hold out some hope on that score, given that the bad report comes from Emperor Evil herself. Though that whole Ava thing didn’t sound good at all...sigh...).  As I said elsewhere:
I hate it when they pull the “We made you love this character just to freak you out when we reveal he’s evil” trick. I mean yes, obviously there were lots of warnings. But I figured there were too many for the truth to be quite so simple. Of course, at this point we only have Mirror Georgiou’s word for it, and she’s hardly an entirely reliable reporter. (This is suddenly and weirdly taking on a Woody Allen/Mia Farrow vibe, a situation I try never to think about because everyone is so fucked up.) Further twists are possible, and I’m hoping for one that shades Lorca with more complex motives. But it seems more likely that, if we’re to get anything positive about Lorca at this point, it’ll be the rescue of Prime Universe Lorca, which I’m pretty meh about. I’m feeling…deflated.
But at least there's this: I called the MU Lorca/Burnham connection -- specifically, that he, not Sarek, was her father figure in the MU -- way back in October, after Lethe (which was when the evidence for MU Lorca became too compelling to dismiss -- especially when he chose not to rescue Cornwell). That one was all mine. I didn’t see it anywhere else. So yay me. Here’s what I said then:
“And then I saw this interview in which Jason Isaacs says: 
‘The relationships get richer and deeper, and there are surprises, there are turns, there are secret agendas and reveals, and that’s my roundabout way of saying, I can’t tell you about my relationship with Michael, other than she seems to mean quite a lot to me, maybe more than is apparent when we first come across her.’ 
“So…. 
“We know that Lorca has gone to great lengths to waylay Burnham, bring her to Discovery, and get her on his crew. The only explanation for this so far has been that he sees her as potentially useful. But if Lorca is from the mirror universe, then it would make a whole lot of sense that he already knows Burnham, and she is already very important to him. Or at least, mirror Burnham is. That’s why he found her and brought her to Discovery, and that’s why he indulged her desire to find Sarek. We know from Enterprise that, in the mirror universe, humans have subjugated Vulcans, so maybe there, it’s not Sarek who is her adoptive father – it’s Lorca, and he would do anything for her. If he plans on staying here, maybe he hopes he can cultivate Burnham as an ally – one to whom he might eventually reveal his true history, even?”
Given the nature of the relationship we’ve seen between Lorca and Burnham up until now, I wonder if MU Georgiou’s claim about him “grooming” Michael and having a sexual relationship with her is overstated, the product of Georgiou’s jealousy? Maybe it was really paternal? Of course, this could be me clutching at straws, because the whole hero-turns-out-to-be-secret-villain thing is a bulletproof squick of mine, especially if you throw sexual predator into the mix, and I will not concede this point until there are no more outs.

That said, I’m calling this now: Discovery is returning with Prime Lorca and some or all of the crew of the Buran.

Other miscellaneous things:


  • I always thought it was "vaunting ambition," not "vaulting ambition." Apparently both are used, but the quote from Macbeth is "vaulting." 
  • "Here, have my ganglia" is the new "REDRUM."
  • So we know that Tyler is physically Voq transformed, but now his mind is all Tyler -- so he's going to have to live the rest of his life in a body that isn't his? That's disturbing.
  • I can't imagine Culber isn't returning to the land of the living. Kudos to those who caught the name of MU Stamets' ship, Charon, the ferryman of Hades who carries souls of the newly deceased across the rivers Styx and Acheron. I didn't.



No comments:

Post a Comment